Tokyo International Airport (HND)
History, Facts and Overview
Located on an appealing bayfront site, Haneda Airfield, as it was originally known, was completed in 1931 and immediately became the biggest civilian airport of its kinds in Japan. The airport soon began offering a range of commercial flights, linking destinations around the country, together with prominent cities in both Manchuria and also Korea.
In the mid-forties, Tokyo's Haneda Airfield was taken over by the US Army and became the Haneda Army Airbase. By the late 1950s, the airport was returned to the city of Tokyo and popular flights to Europe commenced. In the mid-sixties, a fast monorail linked Haneda Airport with Tokyo city centre and soon after, an additional international passenger building and runway opened.
However, due to rising demand, the airport was struggling to maintain service levels and so in 1978, much of the international traffic moved to the newly opened Narita Airport. In 1988, Haneda expanded onto an area of reclaimed land in Tokyo Bay, and by the year 2000, two new runways had been completed and Tokyo Haneda International Airport (HND) is currently enjoying a period of international traffic expansion once more.
There are two six-storey shopping malls at Tokyo Haneda Airport - the Galleria Mall in Terminal 1 and the Marketplace in Terminal 2. The shopping centres provide a wide variety of retail outlets, together with restaurants, bars and cafés, with the outdoor rooftop restaurant being especially popular and overlooks the aircraft. Also onsite at Haneda Airport is the 387-room Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu, which is situated directly above the Marketplace in Terminal 2.
There are post offices in both Terminal 1 and 2, a bank in Terminal 1 and ATMs scattered throughout all terminals, operated by banks such as Citi Bank, Tokyo Mitsubishi Bank and UFJ. Other useful airport facilities at Tokyo Haneda include luggage delivery service, a nursery area, a smoking room and a business court.